[Asterisk-Users] Which VoIP, H.323, SIP reference books are recommended?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Apr 6 12:32:33 MST 2003

I can't speak to H323, but there seem to be quite a few titles out there.

The one SIP book I found was the O'Reilly "Practical VOIP using
VOCAL" which is fairly specific to using the Vovida (Cisco) VOCAL
package, but it had a reasonable explanation of SIP.  Personally, I'd
suggest you start surfing the Cisco website and looking for their
whitepapers on SIP - they are well-written and illustrated, and are
more current than most printed material you'll be able to find.

H323 supposedly is the bulk (90% was the quote I heard) of VOIP
traffic on the big carrier-to-carrier networks, but I'd say that
almost every vendor is trying to figure out how to convert to SIP.
I'm trying to avoid learning H323 in detail until it's absolutely
required, but I have a number of books here that claim to be able to
tell me what I need to know (though I haven't read them, so can't
recommend them.)

JT