[Asterisk-Users] Encryption at RTP level (was: Zultys SIP phone)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Apr 6 12:34:35 MST 2003

I agree.   However, security is always a tradeoff, and there are some
users who would be willing to make that tradeoff.  For example, if I
was on the road and carried one of these phones with me, I'd be
willing to turn on secure RTP for those calls, but not for my LAN
calls, and I'd deal with the latency issues in exchange for the
security.  On the server side, Moore's law is taking care of pushing
that latency down as time progresses.

Plus, there are a lot of places that value security much more highly
than the normal user, and despite their use of encrypted tunnels,
rightly require that applications are encrypted end-to-end at the
application layer.  I completely agree with this methodology.
Firewalls and VPNs are for the protection of weak applications
created by vendors who are slow and stupid (Asterisk is neither.)
Don't let the crutch of external encryption limit the use of robust
application encryption - the market will solve those problems quickly
enough (faster processors, better encryption hashes, etc.)

I've tried suggesting Asterisk to a few people in the banking/finance
industry, and they won't touch it with a ten foot pole unless the RTP
sessions are encrypted end to end.  Strangely (or not strangely) they
don't care so much about the header information, and they were really
jazzed about the Open Source idea.  But security is job #1 for those
folks, and I couldn't make a case that Asterisk could solve their
problems.  As many of you know, though, security is often loudly
touted but poorly implemented, so maybe the claim of "absolute
security is required" is simply a distraction to hide some other
issue with which they were concerned...

JT