[Asterisk-Users] CE certification for Europe

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Apr 3 21:12:35 MST 2003

d hinton wrote:

>FIRST LET ME STATE AGAIN I'M NOT A TROLL! my small company would like to
>support the asterisk effort, but can't or won't pay a $800 markup. now,
>please go to the http://zapatatelephony.org/ website and do some reading!
>the pci card was their last card released, BY THEM not digium, inc. these
>cards was released to benifit the world not individuals that's what GPL is
>all about. NOW is asterisk GPL or not. if not then i'll move on, even though
>i really like it's potential. i did that before on a GPL firewall project,
>that dropped the GPL license, became commercial, and forgot all about the
>people who helped do the work.
>dwayne

Yep. Dead right. zapatatelephony released the work as GPL. Those
zapatatelephony guys are really great. Lets see, there's a few guys in
Mexico, who did much of the original software. There's Jim Dixon, in
California. Excellent public spirited fellow. Did most of the Tormenta 1
hardware and driver software. There's me. I did some of the DSP code,
and bits of drivers, libpri and other stuff. And who else was
there...... Of yeah. Mark Spencer. He was responsible for most of the
driver code and a good deal of the hardware design for Tormenta 2. Great
guy. Exceedingly public spirited, and a CORE DEVELOPER OF WHAT YOU WILL
FIND AT ZAPATATELEPHONY.ORG

If you have looked at this stuff enough to have arranged alternative
production of the cards, I'm sure you know this already. You seem to fit
the description of troll to me.

The stuff is all GPL. Go out and make some if you want. Since you don't
need to recover any development costs, you should make a good profit at
$850 per card. In the US approvals are pretty simple and cheap, so
amortise that over just a few cards and $850 puts you in profit. From
what I've learned today, in response to what I posted last night, it
seems the same may be true in Europe since 2000.

Regards,
Steve