[Asterisk-Users] FAX over IAX

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Apr 3 09:28:06 MST 2003

On Thursday 03 April 2003 09:56 am, Jon Pounder wrote:
> I think the real solution is some piggy backed protocol that can be
> told this is fax information at one end, digitize the fax as if it
> were a faxmodem, stream it to the other end using a non-realtime
> protocol, and then initiate a fax call at the other end and
> restream out the data, all while possibly holding open the original
> call to indicate reception confirmation at the end.

Yes, but I believe the fax machines/modems talk periodically
throughout the call, indicating reception for each page.  It would
need to be a realtime protocol, possibly TCP.  If anything, you'd
want to develop a fax driver for Asterisk, such that it could directly
receive the fax document, then send the pages via email, a la
voicemail.

-Tilghman