[Asterisk-Users] FAX over IAX

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Thu Apr 3 09:23:05 MST 2003

The way I've seen it done is that the incoming fax signal is digitized and
compressed, then sent over the IP channel.  It is done in real time.  You
end up taking up 7k-14kbps instead of the 32/64kbps you'd use to pass high
enough audio quality to not irritate the modems.

Unfortunately, this takes the same DSP work that is necessary to provide
fax transmission/reception...and there have been problems with making that
work.