[Asterisk-Users] CE certification for Europe

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Apr 3 09:56:28 MST 2003

Michiel Betel wrote:

>Thats what I specifically asked... Should the whole system be approved (eg.
>Computer, cards, software) or just the components. The answer I got back
>from two agencies was that hardware approval under R&TTE should be
>sufficient. Same as ISDN BRI card manufacturers do...

There are both intelligent and dumb BRI cards. The intelligent ones only
need approval as a card, since they do all the signalling internally.
The dumb ones need approval of the driver software on the host. See the
i4l drivers as an example. The driver within the Linux kernal has
approval in Europe. Tamper with the driver, and you break the approval.
The Tor2 card is dumb, so its driver would need to be approved, locked
down, and maintained in an appropriate way.

In either case, applications programs are exempt from approval in in EU.
A number of other countries require system level approval, though.

When getting people to quote about approvals take care they are giving
you the whole picture. You can often get step by step approval. This is
useful, as it means you don't need to keep repeating, say, the
electrical safety approvals when all you want is to add more supported
signalling protocols. It does, however, mean you need to make sure the
approval you get is the highest level you need.

Regards,
Steve