[Asterisk-Users] low-cost * (newbie question)

Grzegorz Nosek blackfire at metal.art.pl
Thu Apr 3 05:00:50 MST 2003

> > > No analog modems.
> > >
> > > If your ISDN adapter is supported properly, you can place that straight
> > > into a asterisk box. The analog line would need a X100P.
> > so to sum things up: one x100p for every analog line and one isdn4linux
> > adapter for every isdn line, right? i'd like to test it on an experimental net
> > with no isdn, so i'd like to use a fake channel to provide something the
> > client can talk to. will a soundcard+gnophone on the * box do? or is there
> > another channel type, dedicated to testing, with no hardware required? in what
> > ways is functionality of the oss channel limited in comparison to, say, isdn?
>
> >From information on the list, you will probably want a CAPI ISDN adaptor
> not an isdn4linux adapter.
why? what is the difference in functionality between the two wrt. *? do you
mean active vs passive isdn? if i had the choice i'd go for active isdn (e.g.
fax support - at least isdn4linux.de or thereabouts says so) but the
difference in price is quite significant and i aim to get the cost as low as
possible

> gnophone on your * server will require X on your * server, and that
> would not be recomended. On my 1ghz AMD chip the screensaver could cause
i know, i would never put x on a production server, that's just for testing

> a severe degradation on my VoIP channels. Put gnophone on your other
> asterisk boxes and call each other.
eh, silly me, i haven't thought of that ;)