[asterisk-ss7] Asterisk as an STP with chan_ss7 or libss7

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Oct 6 12:59:06 CDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 11:48 AM, Paul Timmins wrote:
> On 10/06/2011 10:27 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>>
>> No, there is no support in any current Asterisk SS7 solution for it
>> act as an STP. That's essentially an 'SS7 proxy', and Asterisk doesn't
>> have the ability to act that transparently.
>>
> Do you have anything you're not proud of floating around the lab the
> collective could clean up and release for playing with multiple systems?
>
> I've wanted this too, but lack the time these days to write that stuff
> from scratch.

Matt Fredrickson worked on some similar stuff a while ago, which lives
in a branch somewhere. It was designed to be able to let a cluster of
Asterisk servers share a single signaling link and handle more bearers
than a single server could support. This is a similar to what an STP
does, but it wouldn't have been usable as a true STP.

Really, STP functionality wouldn't belong in Asterisk anyway (that'd be
like putting a SIP proxy into Asterisk). I'd be surprised if there
aren't open source STPs out there somewhere already.

--
Kevin P. Fleming