[asterisk-ss7] Using Asterisk for SS7 Signalling only

Michael Mueller ss7box at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:17:55 CST 2011

This idea has been batted around like a worn out cricket ball.  It
seems like a great idea but no one ever does it.

Controlling AS5350 and other media gateways like it is usually done
using MGCP.  Open protocol - seems cool. Seems like something like
Asterisk or ss7box could be the controller.  In principle this is
correct.  The difficulty is that the MG makers have not published
their protocol.  The suspicion is that there are proprietary
extensions to MGCP, and that reverse engineering  might be a moving
target, and not worth the effort.

However, there's this:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/prod_eol_notices_list.html

The moving target problem has now be solved.  The remaining problems are:

1) access to devices by those inclined to reverse engineer the protocol
2) 53xx is a dead product (supposedly these things are cheap and
plentiful - but if there was a cheap MGC, maybe the supply would dry
up? it's a limited market regardless)
3) reverse engineering may not be successful
4) reversing for Cisco, then Lucent, then another - is this the best
way to spend our time? what about possible differences in model
revisions?
5) full load testing is expensive - would you really want to deploy
boatloads of E1 circuits using a system that's been undertested?