[asterisk-ss7] Asterisk 1.8.4.2 + LibSS7 1.0.2 : Early Media Problem

Nyamul Hassan nyamul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:25:06 CDT 2011

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the clarification on early media on chan_ss7.  And, also thank
you for the onward discussion on Asterisk as a whole in high E1 densities.
 This will be a rather long email, so I apologize beforehand.

While I agree with you, Florian, that asterisk does allow for low cost per
E1, the requirements are also different from project to project.  In this
case, the setup is very volatile, no permanence in the project.  It might
happen that tomorrow the project might simply not exist.  Then, spending on
expensive high-density boxes do not make economic sense.

Decision to go to Asterisk 1.8+ came after we tested it in production in a
SIP - SIP scenario, where some endpoints (Sysmaster 3000 in this case) did
not hold calls from our core switch VOS.  When we did a simple re-routing
through Asterisk 1.8, it worked well.  In that setup, Asterisk 1.8 seemed to
be quite stable, having handled millions of call attempts in the last 4
weeks that it has been running without a restart.

That is very good work on part of Digium, from our past experience.  Even in
our current SS7 implementations, 2 x 8 E1s per box, one box is working very
nicely, whereas the other is not so.  I found out later, the box performing
poorly was running i386 CentOS 5.6.  Probably 32-bit is not the best idea
anymore these days, as most software are tuned for 64-bit environment.  We
plan to change the OS sometime next week, and then we can say how that is
going.  Even if it does not work, I have confirmation from Digium, that they
can provide support for Asterisk 1.8 + LibSS7 and work on the stability
issues that we are facing.

As for CDR, we do not use Asterisk for CDRs at all.  We handle that from our
switch.  In most cases that suffices.  If we need to get the CDR from
Asterisk, then we put another instance of FreeSWITCH in front of Asterisk,
and compare between the two to mediate.

I am not an expert programmer, but from what I have read through the mailing
lists about different Asterisk + DAHDI problems, it appears the current
architecture of hardware interrupts in the DAHDI channel driver, makes it
very difficult to bring about stability in the software side.  But, as I
said, I'm not a programmer, and therefore, my assumptions could be very
wrong.

Sangoma & Yate has said that they have used FreeSWITCH in 32 x E1
configurations. Sangoma even said that, although they don't officially
recommend more then 16 x E1 in production, they frequently do 32 x E1
configurations in their lab, mostly for debugging.

If only Digium would release a version of libSS7 for FreeTDM, then I would
have given FreeSWITCH a test run, and see if FreeSWITCH can indeed offer the
stability that their team so proudly demonstrates.  IP <-> TDM is an
entirely different beast, where you have to work not only on software side
problems, but more so on the hardware side, even perhaps as far as the
Kernel.

In any case, we are also working on a stable project with 1 x STM1, for
which we already have an old Lucent APX8000 with 64 x E1s with matching
hardware DSP.  I read a few days back that Asterisk now supports MGCP, and
if that is indeed workable, then that would mean a huge jump for Asterisk
from open-source low cost telephony into the carrier grade world.

In the end, Asterisk is a great product, and we shall keep using it where
the use case requires it.

Regards
HASSAN