[asterisk-ss7] adding ss7 pcap support to dahdi

Krzysztof Drewicz krzysztofdrewicz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:13:36 CDT 2011

2011/7/9 Robert Thomas <thomcr at gmail.com>:
> I thought this would only capture signaling channels, which for the most
> part you would have 2 on a linkset...
>
> I don't see too much need of more than 16 channels unless you have a bunch
> of D channels

That is true, where is the reason to use more than 16 channels to be
captured? It means more than two 8-port, or four 4-port card in one
box, and that is somehow misunderstanding from my point of view. Too
much telco hardware in one box is not a good thing, split cards along
many servers.
If you need to record audio use Record() in dialplan or so.

BTW: in older, 'big' telco systems there are a catches that don't
allow a 16, but one or two signaling channels (or D channels) to be
captured.
If someone needs more than 16, well, use some passive capture like
sangoma solution or external analyzer to do that. For example, good
external analyzer for 30 simultaneous R2 digit exchange on one E1 is
worth more than a brand new server, so i see no point in having more
than 16 captures on any given time. Note that capture takes some CPU
power from your box, sometimes every little interrupt counts :)