[asterisk-ss7] TCAP over VPN?

Joe Freeman joe at ngn-networks.com
Tue Jul 13 13:42:00 CDT 2010

Greetings-

I've recently been looking at TCAP services from both my A-link provider
and another, very large, company. The proposal from the very large
company came back with relatively good rates as compared with the
incumbent A-link provider. However (there's always one), their proposal
is predicated on my using TCAP over VPN.

I've never heard of TCAP over VPN, and my signaling gateway/controller
vendor says they haven't either. So I'm looking for whatever information
I can find.

My purpose for asking here is that I'm wondering if this is possible
with Asterisk, and if I can use Asterisk with lib-ss7 or similar to
create a translation device from which I could translate TCAP over VPN
to legacy TCAP on A-links for connection to my switch.

Thanks-
Joe