[asterisk-ss7] ISUP over IP

Krzysztof Drewicz krzysztofdrewicz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 13:11:28 CDT 2010

2010/7/3 Paul Timmins <paul at timmins.net>

> There's a reason that it hasn't taken the world by storm. Let's make our
> voice network needlessly dependent on our data network so we can save
> ourselves a few 56k links to the telco in exchange for IP links to the
> telco, right?

Yeap. But still you could use a 56k ( U r from USA?) or 64k for PPP
connection and have a IP over a 56k/64k channel :)
So you could have some more things on this PPP connection than just a ss7
signaling (like critical DNS traffic or accouting over a network of PBXes,
or sms exchange or VM connectivity like the IIRC 'VPIM' protocol to send
some VM messages by IP very old but could still be in use).

To be not off-topic: asterisk has great ZAPRAS capability: to have dynamic
PPP on T1/ E1 link ! you use as many B channels as you have free. For
example if you got 5 channels with voice, 30 channels in total, you could
say '2 is minimum reserver for extra voice' so 30 - 5 - 2 = 23 B channels
for IP traffic, if you do math it gives a 1472 bps, for small company it's
(it was...) enough ! and it's on one T1 / E1 link.

If you see voice network as a whole: there is a SMS service. How should SMS
go from one smscenter to another? on some SS7 signaling (so license for your
SS7 exchange should be bought in 99% vendors cases) or just put it on extra
IP that is avalible on this 56/64 kbps ?