[asterisk-ss7] Single Point Code across Multiple * Boxes.

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Thu Jan 8 10:15:14 CST 2009

Amish Chana wrote:
> Matthew Fredrickson wrote:
>> LES.NET (1996) INC. wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I'm curious if anyone has had asterisk-ss7 working (through whatever
>>> magic) across multiple boxes under a single point code.
>>>
>>> For example;
>>> Three asterisk boxes with 4 T1/E1 per box.
>>> Box1: PC 101, CIC 1..96
>>> Box2: PC 101, CIC 97..192
>>> Box3: PC 101, CIC 193..288
>>>
>>> I don't believe this is currently possible with a stock asterisk-ss7...
>>>
>>> Any ideas on solutions to making a large quantity of trunks available
>>> under a single point code?
>>> (In the area of 28-500 T1s worth)
>>>
>>> An a-link could be made available to each box if necessary.
>>>
>> I'm actually working on this code right now... :-)
>>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> In this case, if the point code is distributed across more than one box,
> how do you manage SS7 link (and linkset) failures, where the messages
> need to be re-routed via another link (or linkset) during failure scenarios?

Well, to have a fully redundant setup, you would have separate boxes
terminating each signaling link.  These routing machines can masquerade
ISUP traffic over to other machines via IP protocol based links.  Each
of these IP connected boxes has an IP link to each box with a physical
signaling link.  If a machine with a physical link goes down, it reports
it to the IP links that are hooked up to it and the machines using those
IP links use their alternate IP links instead of that link, providing
for redundancy in times of link failure.

There are going to be other problems to think about as well, but I think
that the basic logic is sound and will work.

I actually just got masqueraded ISUP messages passing correctly back and
forth over IP, but I still have some technical hurdles as far as what to
do as IP links go in and out of service.  This list will definitely know
what I have something I'm interested in testing :-)

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc.