[asterisk-ss7] Single Point Code across Multiple * Boxes.

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Tue Feb 17 23:32:41 CST 2009

Mehdi Shirazi wrote:

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I'm curious if anyone has had asterisk-ss7 working (through whatever
>>> magic) across multiple boxes under a single point code.
>>>
>>> For example;
>>> Three asterisk boxes with 4 T1/E1 per box.
>>> Box1: PC 101, CIC 1..96
>>> Box2: PC 101, CIC 97..192
>>> Box3: PC 101, CIC 193..288
>>>
>>> I don't believe this is currently possible with a stock asterisk-ss7...
>>>
>>> Any ideas on solutions to making a large quantity of trunks available
>>> under a single point code?
>>> (In the area of 28-500 T1s worth)
>>>
>>> An a-link could be made available to each box if necessary.
>

>> I'm actually working on this code right now... :-)
>
>> Matthew Fredrickson
>> Digium, Inc.
>
>> Well, to have a fully redundant setup, you would have separate boxes
>> terminating each signaling link.  These routing machines can masquerade
>> ISUP traffic over to other machines via IP protocol based links.  Each
>> of these IP connected boxes has an IP link to each box with a physical
>> signaling link.  If a machine with a physical link goes down, it reports
>> it to the IP links that are hooked up to it and the machines using those
>> IP links use their alternate IP links instead of that link, providing
>> for redundancy in times of link failure.
>
>> There are going to be other problems to think about as well, but I think
>> that the basic logic is sound and will work.
>
>> I actually just got masqueraded ISUP messages passing correctly back and
>> forth over IP, but I still have some technical hurdles as far as what to
>> do as IP links go in and out of service.  This list will definitely know
>> what I have something I'm interested in testing :-)
>
>> Matthew Fredrickson
>> Digium, Inc.
>
> Hi Mathew
> How we can follow progress of your coding in more detail ?

You can watch the commit log for the svn branch that I'm using for it :-)

I'm just trying to get to a point where I'm ready to have people start
testing with it.  As of late, I have been tied down with other projects,
but hopefully I'll get a few more minutes to work on this sometime soon.

As far as status goes, I have message forwarding working between
machines now, so it should work to some level or another.  I have *not*
stress tested it or done any real production testing on it yet, so if
you wish to try it, you will have to do it realizing that there are most
likely going to be some bugs to work out.  I still have a few
outstanding issues with regards to IP link setup and teardown that I
need to get straightened out (i.e. what happens if a machine dies, etc)

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc.