[asterisk-ss7] Newbie - Asterisk + PRI without SS7 support

technologyinspired technologyinspired at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:20:13 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am new when it comes to SS7. I am using Asterisk now since last 1 year and
have written complex IVRs and done deployments. My question is very basic
but I am looking for a thoughtful and fundamental answer:

1) What are the things that one can not do or would be difficult to do if
some one doesn't have SS7 integration with Asterisk system?

2) Is it still required to have SS7 support if I have Asterisk + PRI support
from Teleco?

3) I want to identify the location information of the person calling to my
Asterisk system. How can SS7 help me in that?

4) [location specific question] In India, do telecos support SS7 signalling
?

5) How can I set user defined parameters in SS7? or use some parameters to
achieve out of band signalling?

Thanks,

Regards,
VKM