[asterisk-ss7] SMS,MMS, SS7

Anders Baekgaard ab at dicea.dk
Mon Nov 10 08:05:52 CST 2008

Our SMS solution has just been implemented, but was published a bit too early
on our web page, because it is still lacking a proper technical description,
which I'm still preparing.

To give a brief technical description, there is a standalone service that
implements the SCCP/TCAP stack. You use this service in your application
program (the SMSC) to send/receive MAP PDUs using TCP/IP. The SMSC
encodes/decodes the MAP PDU necessary for SMS delivery. The SCCP/TCAP service
in turn sends/receives SCCP PDUs to an M3UA (MTP3 user adaptation layer) SG
(signaling gateway).

M3UA is SIGTRAN protocol, an IP based protocol for routing user parts (SCCP,
ISUP).  Our solution currently uses TCP/IP instead of SCTP/IP. Because the
SCCP/TCAP stack service uses IP interfaces, the implementation it is
completely isolated. In principle, if your telecom provides SIGTRAN M3UA you
can connect using this, but this is not yet tested in our solution, and will
probably not just work.

An M3UA SG in turn sends/receives SCCP and ISUP messages using MTP over E1
signaling channels.

We have developed a very rudimentary standalone M3UA SG.  The current version
uses the mtp3d from chan_ss7. This comes with GPL license.

To handle USSD is similar to SMS. In your case, where you have a service
implemented in Java, the architecture must be enhanced. A solution would be to
create a standalone MAP service to which to send/receive USSD data using
TCP/IP. The MAP server in turn uses the SCCP/TCAP service.

Best,
--
Anders Baekgaard
Managing Director, Dicea ApS