[asterisk-ss7] SMS,MMS, SS7 and wrong approach to

Anton anton.vazir at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:18:37 CST 2008

DICEA "supports" chan_ss7 in a very bad way. There is
a "FIXED" version of it, and free version INTENTIONALLY
filled and left with bugs in different places. One of
the "intentional" bugs - accidental one way audio after a
while if usage on certain CIC's , another - improper
attaching to the /dev/zap and improper asiggn of the
variable value in case of someone would want to use zaptel
new style zap addressing (though very simple for anyone
with basic C knowledge to fix, patch was provide in the
list a long ago) - so it becomes clear that that pieces of
code were left intentionally wrong to keep certain number
of users out from the functionality they need, and trying
to force them for commercial support (for changing those 2
lines of code they asked me for ~2000Euro for human labour)
I did not do detail analysis of the code, but since there
are already such an approach - I afraid there is more black
holes and undiscovered bugs. Instead of making profit on
proper support of the users, they prefer to release broken
version and make money on those who tired from bugs, they
discover while using, and leave the code intentionally not
broken.

It's already questionable if DICEA doing this legally
correct: this may be only legally correct if they got
(purchased or whatever) from SIFIRA, otherwise they even
break GPL. Further more, they use parts of ZAPTEL code
(echo cancel, jitter and maybe something else) -
considering this - it's clear GPL breakage - in the view of
releasing "closed" version of chan_ss7.
Would be good to see their response on the said above, but
in fact they very rarely respond at all, even concerning
discovered bugs - since they do not intend to fix them.

The best way would be to fully switch to libss7, and improve
it to add missing functionality. I personally now testing
libss7 and if satisfied with stability and performance will
switch all my links over to it form chan_ss7

------

From DICEA site:

chan_ss7 premium

Dicea offers a premium version of chan_ss7 that include
commercial support. This version differs from the free
download version by having a large number of stability
fixes and enhancements

Specification

    * Compatible with Asterisk 1.2.x and 1.4.x
    * Compatible with Dahdi
    * Compatible with Ubuntu/Debian/Redhat/Fedora/Mandriva
32 and 64 bit versions
    * Supports clusters with more than 4 E1s
    * Supports multiple signalling links
    * Supports load sharing across linksets
    * Supports STP signalling