[asterisk-ss7] Howto Install SS7 with Asterisk 1.4

Joseph tech at ekn.com
Fri Mar 21 12:24:17 CDT 2008

On 03/21/08, Nitesh Divecha wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can anyone share their procedure on how to install Asterisk 1.4 with
> SS7. I have Digium TE405P - Quad T1/E1 PCI card and would like to give
> it a try...

There are 2 ss7 stacks that are discussed here.

If you want to use the one included with asterisk called libss7, you will need to go
with 1.6 or head/trunk. I don't know that it works with 1.4.

I would recommend you setup a separate box just to do ss7, than forward
your calls over IAX to your current asterisk boxes. This gives you
plenty of flexibility and options if you have an outage.

You need to check libss7 in addition to asterisk.
Once you check out libss7, you can get what you need from the readme to
get started.
Here is the ss7 readme:
http://svn.digium.com/svn/libss7/trunk/README

And here is the sample zapata file that includes the ss7 stuff:
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/configs/zapata.conf.sample

Here are the associated urls:

ss7 branch
  http://svn.digium.com/svn/libss7/trunk

Pri just in case you need it. At one time, you had to have this to get
the compile to work.
  http://svn.digium.com/svn/libpri/trunk

Asterisk either head or 1.6
  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.6.0
  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk

And zaptel
  http://svn.digium.com/svn/zaptel/branches/1.4

Asterisk 1.6 may be more stable than head.

I recommend using the Pci Express Digium cards if possible.
However the older style should work.

And avoid doing 56k on the ss7 if possible. This means you need to use
B8ZS rather than AMI.

A links or F links should work.

Put the ss7 links together or you will have problems with the cics
working right with a ss7 channel mixed in.

As far as I know, the only way to get redundancy today is with multiple
Point Codes and separate boxes.

The other stack is chan_ss7 which someone who has used it can help you
with.

--
respectfully,