[asterisk-ss7] Large SS7 installation (96 E1s)

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 16 10:19:07 CDT 2008

Antoine,

Some comments below.

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 05:43 -0700, Antoine Megalla wrote:

> There many unknowns to me:
> For example I don't know if I can put 16 E1s per server?

Not sure. I would not stick that many E1s on a single box since Asterisk
can deadlock. That does not mean that it will but it can and does. In
this case it would bring down 480 channels. Are you willing to run that
risk?

> Should I put the prepaid application on the same Asterisk SS7 box, or
> should simply convert from SS7 to SIP on one box, and then forward the
> SIP call to another Asterisk box where the application is hosted?

I would offload the prepaid application to another set of boxes for
scalability and redundancy.

Regards,
Patrick