[asterisk-ss7] ss7 newbie

Christopher (JVM) christopher at jvminfo.com
Thu Aug 14 12:08:43 CDT 2008

If I am only terminating traffic to my carrier and he is not sending me any, do I still need a pointcode for myself or can I set things up with the his pointcode and the default point code as traffic is only going in his direction ?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:17:12 +0200, olivier taylor wrote
> Your provider should give you 3 informations.
>
> His pointcode (adjacent pointcode in your config)
> Your pointcode (pointcode in your config)
> and eventually a default pointcode if they are other hops between you and him (usually you will use the adjacent pointcode).
>
> Maybe, we can say that it works like IPs (your Ip, his Ip, and eventually a proxy).
>
> Noob answer, that's how I understand things :)
>
> Olivier
>
> Christopher (JVM) a écrit  :

As a newbie myself I was wondering if someone could tell me the
difference

between the pointcode the adjacent point code and the defaultdpc. I am

trying to obtain these infos from my carrier but he is only giving a single

point
code.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:49:26 -0500, Matthew Fredrickson
wrote

Sriram
wrote:

Hi
Thnks for the reply...So say if i want 120 channels over ss7

signalling...will the telco give me 4 E1s and 1 separate E1 for ss7

signalling or will the ss7 be in one of the 4 E1s
itself..?

Sometimes. It depends on what you negotiate with the telco
you're

interconnecting with. Some of them like to waste an E1 on a single

signalling link though. And even stupider ones waste a single E1 on

two signalling links. It seems ridiculous to mandate redundant

signalling links and have them running over the same E1 (Don't
ask,
I had somebody come to me having to deal with
that).

But in any case, you can negotiate with them how you would like to

set it up
typically.

Do i have to just plug in those 4 E1s directly into the
TE420P and

install libss7 ? thats it
?

Yes :-) And configure
it.

Also please tell me what are the advantages of ss7 over PRI
in terms of

1.call handling capacity 2. connectivity 3. reliability
..

If you need answers to that question, you probably need to
research

more into what SS7
is.

Typically, you have a more reliable link since you can have

redundant signalling channels. The protocol also supports a lot

more bearers per signalling link than you can do in PRI (or even

NFAS
PRI).

Matthew
Fredrickson
Digium,
Inc.

Christopher
Srinivasa
VoIP Researcher and Developer / Chercheur et Developpeur
VoIP
christopher at jvminfo.com
JVM INFORMATIQUE CANADA
INC.