[asterisk-ss7] ss7 newbie

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Aug 13 10:49:26 CDT 2008

Sriram wrote:
> Hi
> Thnks for the reply...So say if i want 120 channels over ss7
> signalling...will the telco give me 4 E1s and 1 separate E1 for ss7
> signalling or will the ss7 be in one of the 4 E1s itself..?

Sometimes.  It depends on what you negotiate with the telco you're
interconnecting with.  Some of them like to waste an E1 on a single
signalling link though.  And even stupider ones waste a single E1 on two
signalling links.  It seems ridiculous to mandate redundant signalling
links and have them running over the same E1 (Don't ask, I had somebody
come to me having to deal with that).

But in any case, you can negotiate with them how you would like to set
it up typically.

> Do i have to just plug in those 4 E1s directly into the TE420P and
> install libss7 ? thats it ?

Yes :-)  And configure it.

> Also please tell me what are the advantages of ss7 over PRI in terms of
> 1.call handling capacity 2. connectivity 3. reliability ..

If you need answers to that question, you probably need to research more
into what SS7 is.

Typically, you have a more reliable link since you can have redundant
signalling channels.  The protocol also supports a lot more bearers per
signalling link than you can do in PRI (or even NFAS PRI).

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc.