[asterisk-ss7] "SS7 requester: No idle circuit available." after 2 days of load

Antoine Megalla aatef at rocketmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:48:17 CST 2007

Hi,

I just got my SS7 link up last week, and started
stress testing the link.
I have SIP --> SS7 on an asterisk server with
transcoding.

I am using the latest Asterisk 1.2 on a dual Xeon
machine:
Asterisk 1.2.24
Zaptel 1.2.20.1
Chan_ss7 0.9
Digium TE210P

After just 3 days of testing the SS7 link on 1 E1 with
an average of 20
concurrent calls on the E1 (Max 25 calls), I have the
following warnings:
WARNING[27043] l4isup.c: SS7 requester: No idle
circuit available.
WARNING[27046] l4isup.c: No idle circuit found.

The errors started scarce on the second day, and then
they increase until
they are repeated in almost 3 out of every 4 SS7 call
attempts.
The problem is that when the error message occurs,
only 9 out of the 30
Bchannels are busy, and 21 channels are idle.
The only solution to stop these errors and get the SS7
link working again is
to restart Asterisk.

I have read all the list postings on the subject (only
2 threads are talking
about this problem), and there seems to be no solution
to this specific bug.
All I got is that this is unavoidable in both chan_ss7
and libSS7 under
heavy call volumes (suggesting a Zaptel bug).

My questions are:
How can I avoid this strange behavior?
Is there a patch to either chan_ss7 or Zaptel to fix
this problem?
If I use Sangoma cards instead of Digium will this
problem disappear?

Your help is much appreciated,

Antoine Megalla.