[asterisk-ss7] Re: Turning up A-Links

Kristian Nielsen knielsen at mysql.com
Tue Jan 30 07:16:49 MST 2007

"Jorge Churio" <jorge.churio at globant.com> writes:

> Current asterisk SS7 implementations (both chan_ss7 and libSS7) only
> supports fully associated signaling that means signaling links must be in
> the same E1/T1 as bearer. No matter what type of link you are dealing with
> (usually A or F ones).

Well, in chan_ss7 you should be able to configure one E1 with only a
signalling link, and another as the bearer. But you do need at least one
signalling link per chan_ss7 box.

> The main limitation for this configuration is that you can not have multiple
> asterisk boxes attached to a pair of signaling links, your asterisk switch
> is the limitated to how many trunks you can install in a single box.
> channSS7 has made some great job allowing clusterization but still limits
> the possible configuration schemes.
> This configuration imposes a constrain specially when you connect with
> public switches, usually telcos uses non associated signaling and some sort
> of ISUP redundancy.

Yes.

I would be interested in hearing about how big of a restriction this is in
practise?

If we put two quad-E1 cards in each of two boxes set up in a cluster
configuration, that is already 123*4 = 492 bearer channels (reserving two for
signalling). So with redundancy, in a failover scenario one signalling link
would be serving around 500 bearer channels.

Is that a limitation in practise? How many bearer channels can one reasonably
run on a single signalling link? Also wonder if it is possible to put in more
bearers in a single box?

 - Kristian.

--
Kristian Nielsen, Software Developer