[asterisk-ss7] Re: Turning up A-Links

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Feb 5 09:44:14 MST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Michael Tague wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The thing that I would like to set up is essentially Asterisk as a
> Media
> Gateway Controller (MGC) that understands SS7.  The MGC would then
> control
> Media Gateways such as the Cisco 5400 using MGCP (Media Gateway Control
> Protocol).
>
> I know Asterisk has some implementation of MGCP and I thought, perhaps
> mistakenly, that via MGCP Asterisk could control a Media Gateway.  I
> was
> hoping that with libss7 Asterisk would then be able to communicate to
> the
> SS7 network and control the Media Gateways.
>
> It sounds like Asterisk can understand SS7 and locally - within the
> box -
> answer and originate calls on trunks plugged directly into the
> Asterisk box.
> But, from your answer, it looks like Asterisk can't then use MGCP to
> control
> another Media Gateway?

No.  In order to do that, the channel driver that you use to terminate
your SS7 signalling link would have to be able to understand MGCP as
well.  Neither libss7/chan_zap nor (AFAIK) chan_ss7 is able to talk
MGCP to media gateways directly.

> Would you have any speculation about just how hard it would be to make
> it
> work?  That is, is it a matter of some relatively simple functionality
> not

You would have to add MGCP support to either chan_zap or chan_ss7.