[asterisk-ss7] Questions

Michael Tague cwi at iglou.com
Thu Feb 1 11:33:43 MST 2007

Evidently this address does work, so allow me to repost some questions
I've sent over the past couple of days that have never appeared in the
list.

====

> Asterisk expects to terminate both
> signalling and bearer channels.  So
> if you mean
> by an A-link, a link without local
> bearer termination, it won't help
> you.

I know the bearer termination will have to be turned up too. I'm trying to
see the steps to turning up the A-links, and how one troubleshoots the
process and sees the status of the links.

====

> Current asterisk SS7 implementations (both chan_ss7 and libSS7) only
> supports fully associated signaling that means signaling links must be
> in
> the same E1/T1 as bearer. No matter what type of link you are dealing
> with
> (usually A or F ones).

Just to make sure we're on the same semantic page -- I am assuming that by
"bearer circuits", you mean the E1/T1 circuits are carrying the DS0
intermachine trunks with the ILEC. Does this mean you can only accept SS7
signalling from ILEC providing the intermachine trunks? What if you want
to receiving SS7 signalling from a third party, such as Verisign?

====

The information at govarion.com on the Tormenta III says "Varion Provides
Support for Cards being run under Asterisk and Asterisk at Home. Although the
V401P works perfectly with other software, Varion cannot guarantee this
operability. Embedded designs that use modified Zaptel code are also not
guaranteed. Due to recent changes we have been forced to make in order to
comply with ROHS (Lead-Free Electronics), the V401P no longer works with
the original 'tor2' driver. a newer driver is available, and is included
with your purchase, but embedded designs and custom zaptel drivers based
on 'tor2' will not function with the V400P."

Does anyone know if zaptel 1.4 qualifies as a "custom zaptel driver" which
will not work with the Tormenta III?

====

> Of course you can set up just a signalling link in libss7.  But like
> chan_ss7, you
> must have at least one signalling link per box w/ libss7.

Okay, that's not a problem. My concern was a previous post that indicated
that the SS7 signalling links needed to be on the same circuit as the
bearer circuits. To repeat a previous posting I made that I never saw come
through the list ...