[asterisk-ss7] Libss7 Status Update

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Sep 27 13:41:03 MST 2006

Hey all, long time no update.  I've had a lot of my time caught up in
other projects of late, so I haven't had quite as much time to make
major changes, however, here is a short list of things that have
changed.  First of all, if you haven't been monitoring the threads,
with the release of the 1.4 beta branch, I was able to commit all of my
asterisk-ss7 branch changes back into trunk.  No, this does not mean
that it will be in 1.4, but I'll probably be maintaining a 1.4 based
branch with the ss7 changes once 1.4 is officially release.  For now,
if you want to play with libss7 and Asterisk, you will need to check
out the trunk version of asterisk (`svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk asterisk-trunk).  You still
need to have the trunk versions of zaptel (`svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/zaptel/trunk zaptel-trunk`) or the 1.4 beta
release as well as the trunk version of libss7 (`svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/libss7/trunk libss7`).

Feature wise, I just added support for doing remote block requests from
the asterisk command line, with the "ss7 block cic <linkset> <cic>"
syntax.  The first number is the linkset that you want to block the CIC
on (from zapata.conf) and the second is the CIC on that linkset you
wish to block.  There is also a parallel unblock command (ss7 unblock
cic <linkset> <cic>).  I have been working some more on multilink
support, so that's something we'll see in the future.  I actually had a
conference call with a couple of members of the community about SS7 and
future development directions all over an ANSI ss7 link using libss7
and asterisk.  It was a quite satisfying experience :-)  The primary
topics of conversation were regarding making asterisk be able to handle
more trunks from one point code.  These were the two basic directions
for doing that that we thought of:

The first was to add support in chan_zap (or a layer below that) for
talking to MGCP gateways and being able to control them through that
interface.  The CICs on them would exist as "virtual" zap channels, and
would be controlled as such.  The media would just come in as RTP to
asterisk, and everything would work very similarly to how things work
right now.  RTP re-invites could probably be done do take Asterisk out
of the media as needed.  It would require very little functionality
changes within asterisk and the dialplan for that to work.

The other direction was to add support for M3UA or a similar protocol
to pass ISUP messages on a signalling gateway to other Asterisk boxes
that actually terminate the CIC that is relevant to that particular
message.  This is useful, because then you could use asterisk as a
media gateway as well as a signalling gateway, and is very much how
asterisk likes to be anyways.

On the whole it was fairly productive, as I have thought more about the
second path, but the first one I had trouble conceptualizing how it
would easily integrate in until we had that call.  Now it seems to be a
very technically attainable idea.  As always, if anyone has any
comments or suggestions, peer review is always welcome.