[asterisk-ss7] Strange interrupt issue with zaptel and chan_ss7

P.B. admin at tc-dg.net
Wed Jul 12 09:33:13 MST 2006

The card does not behave any different if all channels are idle or if
all channels are used - In fact the card can not even tell the
difference. The driver reads and writes audio samples on free and on
used channels no matter what. The difference between no calls and 24
simultaneous calls is the processor load of the system. With the
processor load also interrupt latency increases - not linearly though.
So depending on the cards buffer, if the card is not being serviced in
time, frame slips occur and audio and/or hdlc frames are lost.
If another interrupt is being handled (keyboard, harddisk, ethernet) it
will be serviced and will further increase interrupt latency, sometimes
to the point where a buffer overrun (slip) occurs.

The strange behavior between P4 and AMD could be because of slightly
different bus timings on the PCI bus and a faulty card which barely made
the pci specs.

m.f.G.
Peter