[Asterisk-ss7] My Take on the SS7

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Tue Sep 6 08:03:20 CDT 2005

Here in Ireland its easier to get "wholesale" call termination prices
with the local telcos if you are dealing with SS7 rather than PRI ISDN.
I think its just because the different technologies are how they view
carriers vs. end-users.  It doesn't make sense I know because both SS7
and PRI ISDN come from the same switches.

Derek

Richard Gintz wrote:

>Can someone give me an example of the cost/feature differences between SS& and
>PRI ISDN?  I just got a PRI line in from XO Communications (Texas).  And how
>much differently would Asterisk configurations be using SS7 vs. PRI?
>
>Thanks
>

>>>To me the reason I'd really like SS7 over PRI ISDN is that I would
>>>really like to get the CPC data on incoming calls which PRI
>>>ISDN cannot
>>>do and thats it in total.
>>>

>>I am not sure what _I_ would do with the CPC information in my case.  It may
>>be good to know where the call came from so that I can setup more cost
>>effective route in the future but Caller ID (number) seems good enough to
>>start. So simply converting the SS7 message to a PRI should be good enough.
>>If I can pass the caller ID information down to the Voip Subscribers that
>>would be the only reason I need it.
>>What do _you_ use the CPC information for?
>>

>>>I think not many people need SS7 - maybe its not big/available in the
>>>US?  Also normal businesses will get by fine with PRI ISDN
>>>(they don't  want/need the CPC switch data).
>>>

>>It is the primary way to interconnect to the ILEC (at least Qwest in the
>>Northwest).  The cost of lines controlled by SS7 is only a fraction of PRIs
>>from Qwest or other providers.
>>

>>>Markku Korpi's driver is not cheap for sure
>>>

>>Yes but it is certainly less money than most hardware solutions I have seen
>>out there. (Markku hasn't gotten back to me yet from my first email to him
>>so I am not even sure whether I will be able to get it if I want it)
>>

>>>Best of luck!  When you are finished I you might want lots of
>>>money for
>>>your non-opensource SS7 software too! :)
>>>

>>I am not a greedy person but of course I wouldn't mind lots of money (That
>>is why I am in business).  Asterisk has helped us a ton and at very little
>>cost.  We might be able to give back depending on what it will end up
>>costing.  There is always a consulting / support income possibility even if
>>it is open sourced.  (I don't want to talk like it is done before I even
>>start though)

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: Derek at rivertower.ie
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com