[Asterisk-ss7] Let us design an open source SS7 interface for Asterisk

Race Vanderdecken ss7 at codetyrant.com
Wed May 11 19:45:03 CDT 2005

Okay, let things begin, cry havoc and let loose the Dogs of War and what
not.

SS7 is needed for asterisk. Rumor has it that Digium has SS7.

But let's leave that aside and have some fun and create a chan_ss7 for
asterisk.

Sure SS7 is hard to install and yada, yada, yada, <insert excuse for not
doing it here> Yes, the non-USA market does use it. So this will mostly
affect those of you in the 2nd and 3rd world, that being Europe and they
great unwashed.

For my part, I am a middle-ware guy. I can connect anything to
everything.

I have talked with a few SS7 guys who did it for years and they say it
would not be that hard. We just need to create a design and some code.

The guy at ss7box.com said to create a ss7 gateway and send calls that
way.

His plan keeps the ss7 outside of asterisk.

Good or Bad?

I think it should be built in as a module so we can do CDR tracking and
such stuff with it. SS7 does not use CDRs? Not sure, but I am sure
someone will ask for it sooner or later.

Basically what I see is that asterisk users in the commercial world need
a turn key solution where they can just compile and go without having to
set up another program to integrate with asterisk.

Any votes?

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken