[Asterisk-ss7] My Take on the SS7

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Aug 26 12:02:23 CDT 2005

Not sure why I hit send on that last one but to add...

You need SS7 to interconnect with the PSTN if you are a telephone
company.  You don't need SS7 if you are a customer.  The PSTN here in
the states is governed by a set of standard put forth by ANSI and
published by Telcordia.  Your SS7 stack needs to be certified to work
with the PSTN before you will be allows to inter connect.  I don't
think any ILEC will allow an open source software package on their
SS7 network.   If you plan on connecting SS7 to the PSTN you would be
considered a 'switch' not a 'pbx' and your 'switch' must also support
CALEA and E911 amongst other things.

I  purchased a Tekelec t7000 switch to handle my SS7,CALEA,E911,...
and VoIP codec stuff which will dump SIP/g.711 to an internal
Asterisk feature server.  Verizon (my ILEC here) will only see SS7
from me originating from the Tekelec switch.

IMHO, Asterisk doesn't need a full SS7 stack. It needs to work with
certain SS7 gateways which already run certified SS7 stacks and
convert it to SIGTRAN (SS7 over IP).  Asterisk with a Ethernet card,
SIGTRAN, ISUP, LNP, LIDB would be good but I don't know if it would
ever be good enough to act as a telco switch.

For me, hanging a SIP only Asterisk off my switch as a SIP/VoIP
feature server will give me all the capabilities I would need.

-Matt