[asterisk-speech-rec] Asterisk/Nuance integration

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Apr 29 09:14:19 CDT 2009

----- "bollox bollox" <bollox_bollox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Does anybody have any experience using Nuance speech recognition from
> Asterisk?
> It seems that all the documentation I come across discusses
> Lumenvox/Asterisk integration, but not a word about Nuance.
>
> I've created a nuance.conf file and added a line defining where my
> Nuance server can be found, but I doubt the file is ever read.

This would be correct. A module has to be written that uses the engine in question. No module
is in the tree for Nuance, so it won't work.

> I do not seem to be able to get past the SpeechCreate command in the
> dialplan.
> I've tried SpeechCreate and SpeechCreate(nuance) , but the ERROR
> variable is always 1 afterwards.
>
> I've had a look at the source code, but I'm still puzzled.
> The find_engine function should return the default engine if no
> arguments are passed, and search through the list of engines if an
> argument is passed.
> I have not been able to find out
> - how to add engines to Asterisk,
> - how to see the list of available engines (if any) or
> - where the default engine is defined.

Adding an engine to Asterisk requires writing an interface module using the speech recognition
API in Asterisk. It acts as the glue between the way Asterisk does speech recognition and the way
the speech solution (such as Nuance) does. Without this you can't use it. The API is defined in the
speech.h header file in include/asterisk

--
Joshua Colp
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer