[asterisk-speech-rec] How to enable N-Best decoding?

Stephen Keller StephenKeller at LumenVox.com
Wed Nov 7 16:29:51 CST 2007

> A few months ago you gave a good description on how to use
> the N-Best feature in Lumenvox. I think I understand the
> difference between ${SPEECH_TEXT(0/0)} and
> ${SPEECH_TEXT(1/0)}. That was made clear from your example
> with ($she | $sea | $he | $bee).
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand the difference
> between ${SPEECH_TEXT(0/0)} and
> ${SPEECH_TEXT(0/1)}.   Do you have an example you
> could send illustrating the difference? Basically, I'm not
> sure what you meant when you said:
>
> > If there is more than one semantic interpretation, you would check
> > 0/1.

This happens when the same input can match multiple rules, giving the
Engine two or more valid parses of a grammar.

A common example is a call router where you just allow first name
matches, but have two people with the same first name:

	root $name;

	$billjones = bill [jones] {out = "bill jones"};
	$billsmith = bill [smith] {out = "bill smith"};

	$name = ($billjones | $billsmith) {out = rules.latest()};

If a caller just says "Bill" then you have two distinct parses, each
with a different semantic interpretation. In the first parse, the
interpretation is "bill jones" and in the second the interpretation is
"bill smith".

> Also, the ${SPEECH(results)} variable is used to determine
> the total number of N-Best results. Is there an equivalent
> variable that can be used to check for the number of
> "semantic interpretations"?

I'm not sure. If one of the Digium folks could answer this, I would be
grateful.

Thanks,

Stephen Keller
LumenVox Support
P: 877-977-0707, just say "Support"
F: 858-707-7072
Support at LumenVox.com
www.LumenVox.com

Winner "Best Innovation in Speech Recognition"
AVIOS SpeechTEK Award