[asterisk-speech-rec] Voice recognition dialtone?

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Sat Mar 31 19:33:18 MST 2007

I was thinking today about devices that could be used conveniently in a
home automation setting.  Using a phone has a lot of advantages, but I
wouldn't want to have to pick up a phone and speed-dial the recognition
system to control something.  Then I started thinking that if when you
picked up a phone in the house that instead of just getting a regular
dialtone, you got a voice greeting and at the point you could either
speak a command, or ignore the voice prompt and dial normally.

Has anyone else thought about this at all or gotten anything to work?
One thing that I think would be desirable is to accomplish this in such
a way that changes to the regular dialplan processing are minimal so
that you could continue to use tools like FreePBX to configure call
handling for normally dialed calls, but once a voice command was
recognized the normal dialplan processing could be escaped completely
(in my case the call could be taken over by a voice driven app written
in Java).

Any thoughts?

Steve