[asterisk-speech-rec] SpeechBackround: accepting DTMF and speech at the same time? Why?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Dec 1 18:18:55 MST 2006

Tom [toms400] wrote:
> A number of my users have phones that beep when each number is
> pressed.  It appears that the SpeechBackground app is picking up this
> sound, interpreting it as speech, and returning an invalid result.
>
> Looking at the source it seems that the app looks for both DTMF and
> speech in parallel?  Is this correct?  Is there a straightforward way
> to to destroy the speech engine but continue to receive the DTMF input
> the instant DTMF is detected?

The way SpeechBackground is written is that it provides back a perfect
result with the DTMF if any is received. That's not the way the API is
written so SpeechBackground could be changed. Why are your users pushing
DTMF and doing speech at the same time? Just curious.

Joshua Colp
Software Developer
Digium, Inc.