[asterisk-security] Sometimes, Reality is far more scary? (Hugh McLenaghan)

Eric Klein eric.klein at greenfieldtech.net
Wed Oct 16 08:06:45 CDT 2013

Hugh,

I am not sure about the legality of contacting the people with publicly
accessible
unprotected devices. Even if we could identify the (responsible) person,
and their email; those kinds of mails usually need to done as opt-in. As we
discussed at Astricon there is a fine line between letting people know
about a general problem and being perceived as being responsible for it.
Someone even suggested that Digium create a database and let users know,
but we were all sure that their legal department would not approve it.
Hence putting it here in the mailing list.

As to these unprotected phones not affecting us, in most cases I would
disagree. These phones are either:
1 - potential fraud point on our: customer/company networks
2 - potentially able to be used to hit other networks of
our customer/company

Education and proper configuration seem to be the only option.

Eric