[Asterisk-Security] SRTP vs IPSEC

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Wed Aug 10 16:15:01 CDT 2005

John Todd wrote:

> SRTP is negotiated in the SDP, instead of at the network layer like
> IPSEC.  Certain media streams to the same endpoint may or may not
> require encryption.  This is only one reason of _many_ why IPSEC is not
> sufficient for SIP or media encryption on the Internet. Triggering
> encryption at the network layer is inadequate, and does not allow for
> easy communications between the application layer and the process that
> is enacting the encryption.
>
> That being said: IPSEC probably will work great in a VPN environment for
> encapsulating VoIP, but that's a different layer of the security model.

Does RTP use separate UDP ports per media stream?  I'm inclined to think
it does; gnomemeeting/H323 video calls do.  If that's generally true,
than code like the above can trigger encryption per stream, *inside* the
applicantion(s).

What might be some of the other issues?  There's a fair bit of work to
implement SRTP, so I'd like to be convinced it's necessary.

--
Jeremy Jackson
Coplanar Networks