[asterisk-scf-dev] Proposed Naming Conventions

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Tue Nov 22 15:14:56 CST 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Mark Michelson wrote:

> To address one of your points, pre-rename versions of the gitall script actually will work, I believe. The gitall script will automatically pull down a newer version of itself when run and then run the newer version. The net result will be some extra unused repos locally, but the script will actually run properly and get the new renamed repos.
>
> The phrase "rolling back to pre-rename" is vague. Do you mean rolling back to pre-rename commits within a repo? If so, why would rolling back to pre-rename commits involve git trickery? Wouldn't the commit history be the same even if the repo were moved? Could you not roll back to a commit or tag the same way you normally would? Or are you referring to attempting to roll back the gitall script or something else entirely?

I mean trying to check out some older revision of code, say the 1.0-milestone1 branch.  That older gitall script will no longer work, since it refers to repos that will no longer be there.  You'd have to use the newer gitall script to clone everything, and checkout to the branch/tag/revision you wish to build.  Then you'd have to move all your directories around to match what the older gitall script expects.

So if we're to compare the likelihood of someone wanting to do that (very low) plus the pain of doing that (moderate for the few who need it) with the pain of keeping things ugly and inconsistent (high for everyone), changing things around is a no brainer.  I just want to make sure that we're aware that we're doing it.

By 'git trickery' I was referring to what would be required to check out all the repos to be approximately what they were at a particular date, since git doesn't track when changes were pushed to a remote repo, only when the changes were committed.  Something like http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/en/node/645.

--
David M. Lee
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer