[asterisk-scf-dev] PJSIP TCP transport

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Mon Nov 29 14:40:56 CST 2010

Le 10-11-29 15:29, Kevin P. Fleming a écrit :

> I have very little practical experience, but I haven't yet seen a usage
> for link-locals that made a lot of sense.

well, we are getting out of the asterisk-scf discussion, but since you ask:
- link-locals are good for protocol interaction on the link: local
scope, automated.
- it also provides a link-scope address at boot time to talk to others
on the link (routers, ...) without any external mechanism.
- the link scope has good security properties: since routers do not
forward link-scoped addresses, then crafting a special packet to be
addressed to a link-local address from remote (outside the local link)
is pretty difficult if not impossible( well, never say impossible, but...)

- usually, for the purpose above (provide an address early at boot
time/interface up), the link-local uses the mac address embedded in the
/64 host part. Operationally, people want to avoid using them since if
you need to replace your faulty ethernet card in your router/server,
then the link-local (or any address which embeds the MAC address) will
change. So if you put this info statically in some config file, then it
needs to be updated... not fun...

Marc.

--
=========