[hydra-dev] Architecture Diagram

Ken Hunt ken.hunt at digium.com
Mon Jun 21 16:09:14 CDT 2010

Comments below...
Ken

----- Original Message -----

I will start by pointing out that these are design concepts subject to change, but here is what we have in mind:

Routing service - Supports routing a call through the system. For an invite, the Routing Service would identify and locate the destination endpoint(s), or perhaps application to process the call. The Routing Service might also be accessed at the end of a call, or to support a call transfer. Channel Services would register the endpoints that they manage with the Routing Service, so the Routing Service can do lookups between the various Channel Services.

Bridging Service - Creates bridge objects, which are objects that track relationship among a group of 2 or more connected endpoints. A point-to-point call would result in a bridge with exactly two endpoints. A conference call would manage N endpoints.

> Why are they not media services?

The Routing Service is primarily providing a lookup of registered endpoints, which isn't really a media operation.

The Bridge objects created by Bridge Service would probably be involved in allocating Media Operations to support the participants in a session, but the media wouldn't necessarily flow through the Bridge. I think it's more likely the Bridge object is forwarding signaling information among the participants of the bridge.