[hydra-dev] Hydra definition

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Jun 11 08:46:39 CDT 2010

https://myth.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Hydra+Defined

I think the first paragraph is important and maybe needs some clarification:

Hydra is not an application, it's a new framework to build applications for the cloud, for the Internet and for your local network.  Hydra is not Asterisk 2.0, but may be the foundation that we build Asterisk 2.0 on top of, as well as a range of new applications that won't be an enterprise PBX application like Asterisk. We do need to define the requirements from some of these applications today. We have some work called PineMango to start from, as well as the heads of Jason and Tim to get inspired by. In shorter term, we need to define the Astricon demo application that is as far away from Asterisk 2.0 as possible.

I don't like to have "telecommunications" in the first definition phrase, but that is my personal. If we focus on telecom, it's going to be all about phone numbers and phone features all over again. We need to build for the net, for the cloud. URI's all the way.

In the services, I laughed when you mention MGCP and H.323. There's really no need for that. We have ASterisk for gatewaying to old legacy protocols. Let's focus on the new stuff that is up and coming for Hydra. No one in their sane mind would spend any money on MGCP in 2010, unless a big fat customer paid it.

Otherwise, a good start Ken. Thanks!

/O