[hydra-dev] Networking stack (NAT, Firewall, IPv6)

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jun 8 03:21:27 CDT 2010

8 jun 2010 kl. 10.13 skrev Nick Lewis:

>> I think the role of the server outside a
>> NAT will be more important, and in that
>> role Hydra should be able to assist
>> clients that are behind NATs to perform
>> their NAT traversal. I'm thinking of the
>> following features:
>> - ICE-lite
>> - STUN server
>> - TURN server
>
> I think that STUN/TURN/ICE is an area where rfc theory and real world
> practice diverge. I am not sure that hydra needs to bother with any of
> it except port-muxed stun keep-alives as per RFC5626 section 8

In my opinion, STUN/TURN/ICE are the only solutions moving forward, and they are becoming implemented both in SIP and XMPP. It will not only help in IPv4 NAt issues but also IPv6 migration. Call setup might happen over IPv4, but media over IPv6 in some situations.

I agree that it's not widely implemented yet, but tests do show that it solves the problem that it was created to solve.

If it's needed for Hydra or not is another issue. I might be alone, but I still don't have a clear picture of the hole we're trying to fill with Hydra, what the product is.

/O