[hydra-dev] Networking stack (NAT, Firewall, IPv6)

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Sun Jun 6 12:53:11 CDT 2010

Le 10-06-06 07:24, Simon Perreault a écrit :
> On 06/06/2010 02:36 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> 4 jun 2010 kl. 20.39 skrev Simon Perreault:
>>> - ICE-lite
>>> - STUN server
>>> - TURN server
>> Those already exist in other projects - why build new ones? I don't see
>> the integration need.

TURN enables a client to traverse firewalls and NATs, the most strict
ones. Great, but the cost is that the media path goes through the TURN
server. So, similar to when asterisk is in the media path. So if you
care about the media path characteristics and quality, then you might
want to run this TURN server yourself or by a third-party where you have
some SLA. Moreover, if it is on a public side, then you might want to
have some level of authentication. Since TURN requires authentication,
then you would not want to manage yet another authentication database.
So integration with hydra would have that benefit. STUN is lighter, but
you might want to care that the service is running reliable as you need.
So, all together, STUN and TURN service are part of your VoIP system.
You might implement that part elsewhere, but it is your choice. Less
integration, than more difficult to troubleshoot, to insure quality of
service, etc...

The page I started was more about "Think about these in the early
design, so you now where you are going and make the right decisions".

I'm not necessarily saying (if you look at the text in the page), that
hydra should implement these parts. But it should be clearly
"investigated". (Remember, this page is in the "Research" area.).

What is missing in the page (I know, but did not have time to put some
graphics/text) is some use cases that would help understand each
scenario, each functionality needed, because all of these (ICE, STUN,
TURN, client or server) depends on the scenario/use case.

good to see some discussions on it! ;-)

Marc.

--
=========