[hydra-dev] RTP Stack Choice

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Wed Aug 11 09:39:17 CDT 2010

Le 10-08-11 10:33, Tim Panton a écrit :

>> There are not many RTP "stacks" out there. Seems like people generally think "this is simple
>> so I can hack this together".
>
> That was _exactly_ what I was thinking :-)
> Actually I think it _is_ simple enough to be worth the advantages of rolling our own.
> RTP is going to be the most performance sensitive part of Hydra (and remember we
> want it to scale massively).
> I imagine ICE will put some interesting threading requirements in the mix, so
> it might actually be useful to have this in our own hands.
>

>> I need to check pjmedia rtcp support before I say anything about it. For the rest of RTP, I fully trust the
>> decision of the RTP master, Mr Colp. I had some issues with RTCP with PJsip phones and they all
>> blamed pjmedia when I contacted them...
>
> Also it may be easier to instrument a ground-up stack than to enhance an old one.

<playing devil's advocate>

well, RTP is very important for a VoIP product, but RTP by itself is not
the feature that makes hydra new/special/different.

one way would be:
- use pjmedia or else for now. that brings hydra faster to the market.
- if in the process, find major issues, think of replacing it or
rewriting one from scratch.

</playing devil's advocate>

Marc.

--