[hydra-dev] sip stacks (new topic)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Aug 10 09:51:52 CDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 09:46 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

>> The Hydra architecture allows for multiple channel drivers,
>> each implementing any protocol they wish, even if there are multiple
>> implementations of the same protocol. Channel drivers will be named by
>> the administrator installing them (with reasonable defaults), so there's
>> no magic to the name 'SIP' for a channel driver, if that's even what
>> gets chosen.
> And where do you put the stuff that exists in the Asterisk channel driver,
> which is not call-related, like subscriptions and registrations?
> Where would you put presence if we add that, still in a channel driver?
> if so "channel driver" is a bad name.

You are right; they won't live in a 'channel driver', although they
might live in the same Hydra component, if it also implements presence
and provider registration interfaces (and others, if they are created).
It's also possible, and would work equally as well, if the presence
interfaces were implemented in a separate component... and it's not at
all inconceivable that someone might feel that another SIP stack is much
easier/better to use for presence management than PJSIP is, so they
could create a presence management component that used that stack, but
still use the PJSIP-based component for handling calls.

The fact that all these logical entities are abstracted into separate
interfaces is what makes this so powerful, and it's very much unlike the
way things are designed in Asterisk... because we got to start over :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com