[hydra-dev] sip stacks (new topic)

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 09:23:08 CDT 2010

On 10 Aug 2010, at 15:02, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On 2010-08-10 09:34, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>> I'm sure this is understood, but just to re-iterate,
>>> I expect there to be _multiple_ SIP stacks available
>>> for Hydra - at any rate the architecture _must_
>>> support multiple stacks.
>>
>> Right. And we need to figure out what we are going to do with SIP, draw up an architecture.
>>
>> For SIP ua stuff, like if we need to register or subscribe, we might want one "hydralet". For SIP server stuff, like SIP trunks, we might want another.
>>
>> And if the architecture works, we can have multiple implementations.
>
> I had understood from previous discussion that it would be possible to
> have multiple SIP stacks, but that efforts (by Digium and this
> community) would be concentrated on a single one.
>
> Is this conclusion still valid?

That's the way I recall it too, but I think there is real value in
having alternative SIP stacks available that have specific
(possibly weird) attributes that might be unavailable (or
undesirable) in the default stack.

I'm not expecting that this community will develop one,
but I do expect that someone will want to plug-in replacement
stack at some point to pass some compliance test or other.

So the action (at present) is just to enforce the possibility
of alternate stacks, not actually do anything about providing one.

T.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk