[hydra-dev] Demo for astricon

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Aug 5 17:17:36 CDT 2010

On 08/05/2010 01:26 PM, John Todd wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Tim Panton wrote:
>
>> I'm catching up on the conference calls.
>>
>> I'd like to add some sort of API demo in the list.
>> So perhaps have some sort of REST API exposed that monitors/controls/
>> drives
>> one of the demos.
>
> I don't know what the plans for the API are going to be by the time of
> the demo.  Kevin?

There will be some discussion of the API in the keynote (broad
language/platform support, stable, easy to use, etc.), and I suspect
we'll have some time in the evening Q&A session to discuss that in a
more in-depth fashion.

It is likely that we'll have a very bare-bones text interface 'console'
in use that can talk to all the running components, display log messages
and events, and do some basic querying of status. For demonstration
purposes, this may be written in Python, instead of C++.

>> I also like the 'cheap hardware' machine remark that John made,
>> so it would be good to have a hydra component running on something
>> small, like a pogoplug or android. It doesn't have to do much,
>> but to show it is possible for lighter servers to contribute.
>
> This might be an interesting one if we can find a system that supports
> Ice already and would just be a "compile-and-run" kind of situation.
> The problem with the smaller devices is that they take forever to
> learn how all the little dependencies and whatnot go together, or
> trying to cross-compile and export.  Fiddly business.  I suspect
> nobody at Digium will  have the time between now and the demo to delve
> into that, but if after some code is laid down you think you might
> want to try it and you can supply a "black box" that supports it,
> perhaps it might be an interesting addition, even if it's just to hold
> it up and wave it around during the demo and truthfully say "we got it
> running on this, too."

Well, it took me less than two days to get a basic Android text-mode
application able to at least run a simple Ice-based demo application
that issued one operation request and got a response. It *should* be
possible to demonstrate something like that at Astricon, but as John
says, it's pretty much last on our list of things to work on for the
demo, and if the schedule slips it will not get done :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com