[hydra-dev] White paper about interface versioning

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Apr 27 09:44:10 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> It was stated that support would be maintained for as long as the
> burden to support such a module did not exceed a threshold. Would it
> be wise to specify what such a threshold might be, and how long ahead
> of EOL a notice of deprecation would be announced?
>
> For example, we not give dates as to when Asterisk versions will no
> longer be maintained. Perhaps we should do something similar where we
> give a minimum date, with the ability to extend support for that
> module indefinitely, but always giving a date as to when support *may*
> be terminated?

If this was done it would have to be at a per-interface level, since that
is where versioning occurs. It would also potentially force us to maintain
an interface version past the point where the burden becomes immense/insane/nuts.

I can certainly see how it would be attractive to third party developers using
the interfaces though. With a fixed schedule they could plan accordingly to update
their components.

My gut feeling says that versioning is going to be a big job no matter what and
trying to make it adhere to some form of schedule like above might be pushing it,
but I must personally give it more thought.

--
Joshua Colp
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer