[hydra-dev] Still confused, but at a higher level

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 12 10:10:57 CDT 2010

12 apr 2010 kl. 17.05 skrev Terry Wilson:

>> Your way of reasoning is very sound, from a very technichal perspective. I'm more focusing on the market and the community. That's my main concern.
>> How do we communicate what this is and what it's not?
>>
>> Everyone will immediately see Asterisk 2.0 and start assuming that. Compare it with FreeSwitch, Asterisk 1.x and other solutions and we can't possibly -as you say - fulfill those expectations.
>> Which means that we will be hurting ourselves from a marketing point of view. "Shooting oneself in the foot" is a common expression.
>
> I think this is probably why Digium has said every chance it can that "This is not Asterisk 2.0". I imagine they will continue saying that.
And everyone will believe it's just about protecting your business and not the truth...

>> On the other hand - is there any way to handle this situation differently?
>>
>> Maybe not to launch it as a separate product at all - maybe something like "Asterisk Scalable Infrastructure Addon"To me, anyway, this marginalizes what Hydra actually is.
>
> Hydra won't require Asterisk and therefor isn't really an add-on for Asterisk. It would be like me calling OpenSER an Asterisk Scalable Infrastructure Addon because that is how I personally used it.
I'm not talking about product design, Terry. I am talking about how we should launch the first version without hurting the existing Asterisk business.
Because that is what's going to happen with the presentation that was shown to us.

>> Make it part of Asterisk instead of something separate. Let it take over in five years.
>
> I think the "or something separate" is the plan. I can't imagine Digium would *ever* promote/market Hydra as Asterisk 2.0. Any time I have ever heard them talk about it, they have been very up front that it is definitely not Asterisk 2.0. With its lack of features upon launch, I don't think anyone would ever be confused on that point, either.

Believe me, it's very hard to fool your customers.

/O