[hydra-dev] Carrier Use Case

Chris Tooley chris at tooley.com
Thu Apr 1 08:20:23 CDT 2010

Currently I work for a medium sized international termination carrier
in the US. We are constantly adding Asterisk servers to increase
capacity, with all of the manual configuration that entails. We use
Asterisk in the same way most carriers would use a media gateway to
provide a back to back user agent for bridging calls. We use
specialized installations for TDM interconnections and transcoding
resources. Unfortunately this means front-ending Asterisk with a SIP
Proxy that does load balancing. Additionally it means that every media
gateway in our network has additional resources that don't need to be
consumed due to them not being truly specialized. It also means that
if a media gateway crashes, all calls through that media gateway also
crash. As we push more and more calls through a single server, this
becomes a bigger issue.

We're struggling to keep up with channel requirements as continually
rolling out more and more asterisk servers becomes very difficult to
manage. Also, the centralized management and growing need for fault
tolerance is a very large issue.
--

Chris Tooley
mobile: 615-525-8067